Beans are such a gift to anyone looking to eat healthily but save cash. Whether you buy them ready-cooked in a tin or dried and boiled (which I do in bulk and freeze in portions) they are ones of the cheapest ways of getting protein […]
I love a fritter as a freeze-ahead meal prep item to use for impromptu dinners, packed lunches, picnics and as a veggie packed side, so these Indian Style Sweet Potato Fritters are a total winner. If you have any random root veg laying around you […]
Need bread and need it fast? Knocking together a soda bread is faster than going to the shops! This one doesn’t even have buttermilk so really can be made with everything you have in the house. It couldn’t be easier. This is a basic 100% […]
Rather than have to make a breakfast on Christmas Day enjoy this delicious Christmas Granola which is amazing with coconut or Greek yoghurt. It has all the smells and tastes we associate with the festive season – and of course a hint of chocolate! You can adapt the additions to suit your tastes of course. This also makes a fab Christmas gift if you are making your own foodie presents this year. Be warned though, it will be hard to let go of…
- 6 cups economy style oats
- 2 cups jumbo oats
- 2 cups flaked almonds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- Zest of one large or 2 small oranges
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup white chocolate drops
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate drops
- 2 cup mixed dried berries – I use raisins, cranberries, sultanas, cherries, blueberries
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°c / 160°c Fan / 350°f / Gas 4.
- Step 2 Take the oats, almonds, seeds, spices, orange zest in a large bowl and mix well.
- Step 3 Stir in the oil and maple syrup so everything is coated.
- Step 4 Line three large baking trays (I use reusable silicone liners) then spread the mixture so it is not thick and is evenly spread.
- Step 5 Bake for 20mins and stir then return to the oven for a further 5-10mins.
- Step 6 Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the trays.
- Step 7 When completely cold stir through the chocolate chips and dried fruit.
- Step 8 Keep in an airtight container.
These waffles are great to make ahead for a special breakfast, quick sweet snack or dessert. You can eat them hot from the waffle plate or simple reheat in the toaster! Toppings can be as lavish or simple as you like from coconut yoghurt, berries […]
As the national flour hunt continues I’ve found a bit of a baking work around. This almond tart is super easy to make and you can use shop bought shortcrust or dessert pastry for the base – the ‘cake’ on the top uses no flour […]
Sweet potatoes are packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals but not something you may think of eating for breakfast. But when you taste these Sweet Potato Waffles you will want them for breakfast and lunch! These soft and fluffy waffles are fab for both sweet and savoury breakfasts or later on the day. Think of them as a more interesting bread base! If you don’t have a waffle maker you can make them into American style pancakes instead.
If you have a sweet tooth simply top them with a blob of Skyr and some berries or a little cinnamon sugar. Of you are a savoury person or looking for a lunch time topping this Mexican twist is delicious!
Mexican Topped Sweet Potato Waffles
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 60g oats
- 50g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 160ml milk of your choice
- Mexican topping (for one waffle)
- Handful of grated cheese
- Half a tomato, finely diced
- A few jalapeños, finely diced
- Around a tablespoon of fresh chopped coriander
- Step 1 Place all the ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Step 2 Preheat your waffle iron to medium and spray with oil if needs be.
- Step 3 Add the appropriate amount of batter for your machine and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Step 4 When cooked, the waffles can be stored in the fridge or freezer ready to be reheated in a toaster, grill or microwave.
- Step 5 Add the cheese, tomato and jalapeño topping to one waffle and grill under a hot heat until the cheese is bubbling.
- Step 6 Place on a plate and sprinkle with the coriander.
Chocolate for breakfast does not have to be a bad thing! Cocoa itself is a superfood and when combined with slow release energy from oats, a hit of antioxidants and protein from chia seeds and the fibre and MCTs of coconut all without refined sugars, […]
In some ways these Marmite coated cashews were not my smartest idea…yes they are totally delicious but that also makes them ridiculously moreish! They are so easy to make too, just place 200g of cashews in a frying pan with a teaspoon of Marmite (or […]
Are you looking for a very quick and easy bake sale treat you can make in minutes? Or have you got an unexpected playdate you need to whip up a pudding for? Then these Marshmallow Crispies are totally for you.
Simply melt together 50g butter and 300g marshmallows. When they have turned into the most delicious smelling goo add 180g Rice Krispies and combine well.
Compact into a lined brownie tray and sprinkle with edible glitter or sprinkles. Then refrigerate for an hour or so. Remove from the lining and cut into cubes.
Simple, quick and a total winner with the kids! .
Whatever it is about putting something hot in a bun with some salad and sauce which makes some delicious magic happen, we can’t get enough of it! But you don’t always need to turn to meat or fake meat to make that happen. These Mushroom […]