Need bread and need it fast? Knocking together a soda bread is faster than going to the shops! This one doesn’t even have buttermilk so really can be made with everything you have in the house. It couldn’t be easier. This is a basic 100% wholemeal but you can add nuts, seeds, dried fruits or cheese to make it your own or use up any bits and bobs you have leftover. It’s amazing warm with a bowl of soup.
30mins Wholemeal Soda Bread
- 350 g wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 285ml milk
- 1 tablespoon cider or white wine vinegar/lemon juice
- Step 1 Mix the vinegar or lemon juice with the milk and leave to stand.
- Step 2 Preheat oven to 220C / 200C / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Step 3 Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Step 4 Pour in the milk.
- Step 5 Mix roughly so you have a sticky dough, you can use a knife to make this less mucky.
- Step 6 When you have a ball, without any dry bits, put it on a baking tray which is well dusted with wholemeal flour.
- Step 7 Make a deep cut cross with a sharp knife right across the middle of the round, almost but not quite to the bottom.
- Step 8 Bake for 30mins until brown and it sounds hollow when you knock.
- Step 9 Serve!