Breakfast is a busy time for everyone but if you are prepared you can have a delicious meal, which will really set you up for the day, which is both cheap and healthy. Granola is a staple in many households but I tend to shy away from the packaged varieties as so often they are covered in sugar and lack the bits I really like, the nuts and seeds. Which is why I came up with this Apple and Cinnamon Sugar Free Granola, which can also be gluten free if it needs to be too.
The beauty of making your own granola is that you can have more of the bits you like best. It’s a brilliant way to use up any small amounts of seeds or nuts you have laying around too.
If you can’t eat nuts, don’t worry – don’t include them! If you can’t have gluten that’s fine – use gluten-free oats or other rolled grains like millet or quinoa which can be bought in health food stores cheaply. Personally I don’t get on with oats, so I use rye and millet flakes to make up the ‘oat’ allowance.
You will notice this doesn’t have any dried fruit in it. This is because I prefer fresh fruit in my granola which is also lower in sugar but you can add your favourite dried fruits to the cooked granola. Better still, add them to your bowl then you can ring the changes every day with the fruits you add. I know someone who also likes to throw in some dark chocolate drops.
I add flaked almonds to mine as I love their sweet toasted flavour, but again if they are not for you then sub in what you prefer. I have included the option of making the granola sweeter too with a little honey. Across the quantity this works out to a tiny amount per portion but again you can leave it out.
We have lots of cooking apples in the garden at the moment thanks to our beautiful apple tree so this is a brilliant way of using up some of the windfalls. It also makes this dish even more cost-effective! I like to make lots of apple puree (no sugar added) and freeze it in 300g bags so I can whiz this dish up quickly in the apple-free months. If you use supermarket economy oats, common seeds and apples in season you will be able to make double the quantity of granola for half the price of the ready-made stuff. And it will be far more nutritious too.
What’s not to love?!?!?
Apple and Cinnamon Sugar Free Granola
- 500g oats or oat style grain
- 100g flaked almonds
- 120g seeds (I like sunflower and chia)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of runny honey (optional)
- 300g no sugar added cooked apple puree
- Step 1 Preheat your oven to 180℃ /350 ℉ / Gas 4.
- Step 2 Mix the oats, seeds, almonds and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Step 3 Add the runny honey, if using, and stir in well.
- Step 4 Add the apple puree and mix well so all the dry ingredients are covered. You will notice some clumping which is great as these are your ‘stuck together’ granola bits!
- Step 5 Spread onto two large roasting tins.
- Step 6 Bake in the oven stirring every 10 minutes so that it cooks evenly.
- Step 7 After 30 minutes it should be golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the trays.
- Step 8 When completely cold pour into an airtight container where it will keep for several weeks. This makes enough to fill two medium size Kilner jars.