Pumpkins and squashes are still bringing a burst of colour to our tables as we slip into winter. But aside from soups a lot of people ask me how they should use these cheap and plentiful veggies. They are certainly underrated as a side dish to a meal so here is a quick and easy Baked Squash with Cranberries which is perfect for this time of year.
This is great served with a roast dinner – maybe even Christmas lunch – as well as with other vegetable dishes as part of a sharing table. Squash is a brilliant veggie to include in our diets as it’s packed with vitamin A, C, E, B vitamins, magnesium, copper, potassium, calcium, iron and phosphorus. The colour is demonstrative of the fact it’s a great source of carotenoids and other important anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds.
So give this easy to make and very tasty dish a go. If you have any leftovers simply toss them into some quinoa or couscous with some parsley and perhaps a little griddled halloumi for a quick, filling salad.
Baked Squash with Cranberries
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 large (2 small) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced 1⁄2 inch thick rounds
- Oil spray or 2 tbsp oil
- 250ml cider or apple juice
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1tbsp maple syrup
- 25g dried cranberries
- 20g pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 180°C fan/200°C.
- Step 2 Combine the coriander, nutmeg and cumin.
- Step 3 Spray with or coat in the oil the slices of squash then sprinkle with the spice mix so it’s evenly distributed.
- Step 4 Lay the slices on backing sheets so they are not overlapping. Bake for 30mins until they are soft.
- Step 5 While cooking make the drizzle. Heat the cider/apple juice in a saucepan with the cranberries until the fluid has reduced to around a quarter of what it was. It will take 10-15mins.
- Step 6 Then remove from the heat and add the vinegar, maple syrup and oil. Season with a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 7 Place the cooked slices of squash on a platter, scatter the pecans over the squash and then finish with the drizzle.