If you have spent the summer grabbing breakfast fast in the morning thanks to your overnight oats then you need this recipe in your winter! This Blueberry Baked Oatmeal is so packed with flavour – yet sugar free – and you can grab and go with it all week. Simply reheat in a microwave at work or eat it cold too. It’s filling and cheap plus will only take you 35mins to make and give you enough for a week of breakfasts.
I keep half in the fridge ready and freeze half in portions for the end of the week. It’s also the perfect dish for a special breakfast or brunch if you have guests as once it’s all thrown together you just leave it to cook in the oven while you chat. And you only need to wash up two dishes for the whole meal!
There are two tablespoons of honey in the dish but if you want to leave that out you can just enjoy the sweetness from the fruit. Make sure your fruit is super ripe (great for using up fruit past it’s best) to get the best sweetness. I used some fruits which would have been thrown away given another day in the fruit bowl and milk which was on date so reduced making this a really luxurious but budget friendly breakfast. Also, economy oats work better than the posher varieties in this dish. Feel free to use any milk you like in this, if you use full-fat cow’s milk you will get a very rich result but other non-dairy milks are also great.
It so seriously delicious I actually at it for my lunch too the first time I made it. This is a winter game-changer!
Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- 200g frozen blueberries
- 2 small very ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 very ripe pears, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 200ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 200g porridge oats
- Step 1 200g frozen blueberries
- Step 2 2 small very ripe bananas, mashed
- Step 3 2 very ripe pears, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- Step 4 200ml milk
- Step 5 2 eggs
- Step 6 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- Step 7 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Step 8 200g porridge oats
- Step 9 Preheat oven to 200 ° C fan / 400° C / 350 ° F / Gas 5.
- Step 10 Take a glass or ceramic baking dish 28cm x 20cm, grease the sides and bottom of the bowl with a little butter or oil.
- Step 11 Place the frozen blueberries in the bottom of the dish.
- Step 12 In a bowl or jug mix together the milk, eggs, vanilla, honey, mashed banana and finely chopped pear. Combine well and add the oats too.
- Step 13 Pour this mixture over the blueberries and make sure it’s level.
- Step 14 Bake in the oven for 30-35mins, until the edges are golden. Serve immediately!