This is such a classic in our house. You could call this ‘sleepwalking cooking’ as I make it as I go along with no recipe really. But I have paid attention and written down how to make this Squash and Chickpea Tagine because it’s such a brilliant, versatile dish.
Pretty much everyone loves this meal and it’s perfect for big groups as it goes with so many other things on a buffet table like salads, breads, couscous or grain salads. You can have it vegan as it is or serve as a side with some halloumi, roasted fish or chicken. If there’s a little bit left over I even mash it up, wrap in filo and bake for a tasty little pie! Or simpler still you could blitz ‘not quite a portion’ and combine with stock for a tasty soup. Either way this is a brilliant must have dish.
It’s really easy to make a double amount of this tagine and freeze it for meal prep dinners or lunches too, so don’t hold back on the quantities. And it’s one of those dishes which is almost better made in advance.
Chickpea and Squash Tagine
- 2 tablespoons oil of your choice
- 2 red onions, in thin semi-circular slices
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 2 heaped teaspoons harissa paste
- 750g butternut squash or other tasty squash
- 700ml passata, rinse out the bottle with another 200ml of water
- 120g dried cranberries
- 2 tins of chickpeas, drained
- Step 1 Soften the onions in a large saucepan, lid on with the oil, this should take around 5mins. Add a splash of water if it’s looking dry and sticking.
- Step 2 Remove the lid and add the garlic and harissa paste. Fry for a minute or two with the onions, stirring so everything is well combined.
- Step 3 Add the squash, passata, water from the bottle and cranberries and stir well. Replace the lid and leave to cook on a medium heat for around 35mins, checking and stirring now and then.
- Step 4 Add the chickpeas and combine well. Allow to cook for another 10mins with the lid off, stirring occasionally. If the sauce does start to stick add a splash of water.
- Step 5 When all the vegetables are soft, but not breaking up, the tagine is ready!
11 thoughts on “Chickpea and Squash Tagine”
This looks delicious! I’ll have to try this recipe!
Looks delicious! I’m not exactly vegan, but I do like incorporating vegan meals when I can, so I’ll definitely try this sometime!
This looks absolutely delicious! I REALLY am trying to eat more vegan meals but struggle with the creativity and vision to make it happen. This has definitely inspired me!
While looking for new vegan recipes to try, I always see amazing ones that I absolutely need to try out. The biggest problem I have is that, for some reason, I don’t like chickpeas. And I SO wish I did. This recipe looks so yum!
Ahhhh. I love Tagine! I have never tried making it myself, but this seems super easy!
I was looking for new vegan recipes which won’t take much time to prepare. This one looks delicious. I will try this out soon.
Easy and healthy recipe! And omg…harissa paste…love it!
Thanks for sharing!
For the first time I see a combination of these ingredients and it looks incredibly delicious and tempting. 🙂
Yum! This looks so warm and comforting! We are trying to eat plant based twice a week, pinned!
This looks really delicious and healthy. I’m definitely going to try it as I have been looking for some new healthy recipes. Thanks for sharing
Oh my gosh, where has this recipe been the last few months. I cannot wait to try this, I love to look of your cooked dishes.