The summer holidays have started for us and as a bit of an activity – and to prep for future playdates and picnics – we’ve made some Chocolate Chip Cookies. I have to admit it was also a great way of using up the leftover Easter Eggs which have been rather squished now!
I have reduced the sugar content of these biscuits from that you would often find in a cookie because I think they still taste plenty sweet enough and the texture holds up well too. My top money saving tip here would be to use a bar of supermarket economy dark chocolate and break it/ split it with a knife into smaller chunks. Much more economical than buying the ready-made chunks and I prefer the odd size pieces. These have a chewy texture in the middle with a crunch around the edges.
They are super easy to make so perfect to cook with kids and you also don’t need much equipment, just a wooden spoon to mix, bowls and baking trays. Plus there is a need to get your hands in to mix everything together and show me a child who doesn’t like getting their hands involved!
They do spread when they cook so allow room between the cookies. If they do spread into each other don’t panic! You simply need to define their edges once again as soon as you get them out of the oven when they are still malleable. Use your spatula or the back of a spoon to do so.
This makes 24 large cookies, which will keep in an air tight container or a friend of mine says she freezes them and they come out great. You can always do a half mixture if you would prefer less. I find they disappear quite quickly though!
Although these are not as cheap to make as a packet of little cookies they are more like the handmade cookies from a deli so work out cheaper. Had I used an economy bought bar of chocolate these cookies would have come in at around £3.50 for 24 or about 14p each. Rather than the £1 plus you would pay in a bakery. And with slightly less sugar too I expect.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 300g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 450g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 200-300g chocolate chips or chunks made from a bar
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 165 °C /150 °C fan/Gas 3/325 °F
- Step 2 Melt the butter and combine with the sugar.
- Step 3 In a separate bowl mix together the flour and baking powder.
- Step 4 Add the butter and sugar mix to the flour and combine.
- Step 5 Beat the eggs in a cup and add the vanilla essence. Add to the rest of the cookie dough.
- Step 6 Combine with your hands, you should have a soft dough. Add the chocolate.
- Step 7 Next form ping pong ball size balls in your hands. You should be able to make 24.
- Step 8 On a baking place the balls, well apart from each other and squish the top down.
- Step 9 Cook for about 10mins, check – they should be going golden brown around the edges.
1 thought on “Chocolate Chip Cookies”
Ooh, I like your tip about buying a chunk of chocolate!