If you are looking for the perfect suit every occasion snack and breakfast then you have found it here! These Chocolate Orange Oat Bars are a versatile source of slow release carbs and are refined sugar free too. They are basically a baked oatmeal, so great heated up as they are or with a little milk if you prefer for breakfast. But they also hold together brilliantly so make the perfect on-the-go snack. Simply wrap and you are ready for a healthy treat at any time.
When my children were young I used to buy them a large organic brands oat bars as they were a brilliant option for meals out – I wish I had developed these oat bars then because they would have saved us a fortune! Just cut them into smaller bars for kids and they are perfect for the playground or lunch box as they travel well and are easy to pick up and eat with no mess. Add the extra chocolate chips or leave them out, either way these oat bars are sure to become a staple in your household like they are in mine. But beware – they smell heavenly when they are cooking so you will pounce on them!
Chocolate Orange Oat Bars
- 1 mashed ripe banana
- 3 cups porridge oats
- juice of 1-2 oranges (depending on how orangy you like it!)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 egg or an additional banana/egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Step 2 Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Step 3 Put into a 23cm x 18cm dish and bake in the oven for 20-25mins until firm.