Fish is something which is so readily accessible now and often not expensive – but which so many people are worried about cooking. And it really shouldn’t be that way because it can be such a quick and easy family dinner or lunch if you have friends over as this Cod in Lemon and Parsley Crumb proves.
My kids love the crumb which has a more varied texture than a piece of frozen fish in breadcrumbs and it’s also so much tastier. I use sourdough breadcrumbs which I keep a bag of in the freezer all the time. A little goes a long way and it’s such a great way of using up, rather than throwing out, any leftover bits of loaves. You can grab a handful straight from the freezer to make this which adds to the speedy nature of the dish. White or wholemeal breadcrumbs would be just as good though you might want to add a little salt and pepper to the crumb mix too. Whatever you do don’t use the packets of breadcrumbs which look like the stuff on fishfingers. They are too dry, fine and generally bland to work. Other than that there are few ingredients and the leftover half of lemon can be used to serve (though my children just eat that when they see it on the plate…)
I bought these lovely cod loin fillet, no skin for anyone fresh fish squeamish to get creeped out by, on offer as £2 for two, which meant the dish came in at about £1.30 per portion. Just add veggies or a salad on the side for a delicious summer meal all made in under 30mins.
Cod in Lemon and Parsley Crumb
- 4 cod loin fillets
- 50g breadcrumbs (I prefer sourdough)
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of crushed garlic from a jar or 1 fat clove
- ½ lemon zest, finely grated
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Step 1 Mix the breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, lemon zest and juice, olive oil throughly in a bowl. Add salt and pepper if you wish, this would be good if you are using white or brown breadcrumbs rather than sourdough.
- Step 2 Place the cod in a shallow dish and heap over the crumb mix. Try and keep it all on the fish itself rather than on the dish.
- Step 3 Press the mix down onto the fish so the top is completely covered.
- Step 4 Bake at 220C/425F/Gas 7 for about 20mins, the fish should be cooked through and the crumb browned and crispy around the edges.
- Step 5 Serve with lemon wedges on the side.