Chocolate for breakfast does not have to be a bad thing! Cocoa itself is a superfood and when combined with slow release energy from oats, a hit of antioxidants and protein from chia seeds and the fibre and MCTs of coconut all without refined sugars, suddenly you HAVE to eat this Dark Chocolate and Coconut Granola for breakfast.
Mass produced granola’s can be full of sugars and transfats, this one sticks to natural ingredients and delivers an intense chocolate hit with plenty of crunch. The coconut adds some natural sweetness, as does the secret banana and a little maple syrup. This vegan, nut free breakfast can be made gluten free too by using the appropriate oats. I love it over coconut yoghurt with berries. But I equally find myself grabbing a handful as a dessert or snack during the day too.
Dark Chocolate and Coconut Granola
- 200g jumbo rolled oats
- 100g finer rolled oats
- 100g desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 50g cocoa powder
- 50g coconut oil
- 50g maple syrup
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 170°C / 150°C Fan / Gas 3.
- Step 2 Mash the banana well in to a large bowl then add the oats, coconut, chia seeds and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Step 3 Melt the coconut oil and maple syrup together and pour over the oat mixture. Combine really well.
- Step 4 Spread over a couple of baking trays – ensure there is plenty of space for the granola and it’s in a single layer. Use your hands to scrunch some of it into bigger clumps if needs be.
- Step 5 Bake for 15mins then stir on the tray and return to the oven for another 10mins.
- Step 6 Leave on the tray to completely cool this is when it turns crunchy.
- Step 7 Store in an airtight container for a few weeks (if it lasts that long!).
If you are looking for more healthy chocolate recipes then try these Free From Everything Healthy Chocolate Brownie Muffins
Big granola lover? Then Apple and Cinnamon Sugar Free Granola will get you excited for breakfast!
And if you love to meal prep your mornings then Mango and Raspberry Overnight Oats are a great idea.