Everyone has ‘their’ soup. The one which makes them feel like they are supping a great big cuddle, to lift their spirits when they are ill, which makes a quick lunch that more poignant. For me it’s a classic Cream of Tomato Soup. It was the only soup I ate as a child (or was actually given!) and when I was stick would drink it hot with slices of cheddar cheese melting pleasingly on top.
But in these sugar conscious times a tin of soup is not quite the innocent treat it once looked! So, wanting to give my kids the soup of my childhood, I decided it was time to make my own version. Which is how this vitamin packed Easy Healthy Cream of Tomato Soup came into being.
The secret ingredient in this recipe is something which usually ends up in the bin – and as a waste-phobe I love it’s used. The green stalk and the ends which connect to the tomato from the vine are all used and give the soup a vibrant, fresh taste.
It has a real depth of flavour and if you don’t like your soup with a creamy edge then just leave out the crème fraiche. It’s great to freeze ahead for a quick lunch or dinner, just as easy as opening a can of soup.
Healthy Cream of Tomato Soup
- 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
- 2 trimmed sticks of celery, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 6 large on vine tomatoes, roughly chopped and with the green bits
- 1 tin of tomatoes in juice (do not drain)
- a handful of washed basil leaves
- 1.5l vegetable stock
- 100g crème fraiche or Quark
- Step 1 Place all the vegetables into a large pan with the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock.
- Step 2 Bring to the boil and simmer for around 15mins until all the vegetables are soft and cooked through. Cook for a while longer if they are not.
- Step 3 When cooked, add the tinned tomatoes and their juice and the whole basil leaves.
- Step 4 Remove from the heat and add the crème fraiche and stir through.
- Step 5 Allow to cool a little before blending until smooth.
- Step 6 Return to the pan and adjust the consistency with a little water if it’s too thick, season to taste and warm to serve.
13 thoughts on “Easy Healthy Cream of Tomato Soup”
This definitely calls for a grilled cheese sandwich to dip! Thanks for sharing! Looks delicious.
It is my favorite soup! Might save the link and try it !
How YUMMY! Perfect for me as New Zealand slips into the cold weather 🙂 Thank you!
MMM this looks so good! All of the other tomato soups I’ve tried making from scratch turned out too spicy, but the ingredients in this look just right! Thanks for the recipe!
This one is just rich in flavour so hopefully you will love it!
So excited to try this soup – it’s still cold here out in Eastern Washington and we are looking for warm meals like this one. Thank you!
It’s so lovely to have on stand by after a winter walk.
You know maybe I shouldn’t admit this but… I didn’t even know that all those yummy veggies were in tomato soup! Now that I know, I’m totally trying it. Thanks so much for this tomato soup education! this is my aaaaahhhaaaaa moment face!
Really like the option of Quark instead of cream! It’s a great healthy substitute!
Tomatoes are coming into season here and this looks like a great recipe to try!
It’s a brilliant way of using up tomatoes!
Just made this soup. Absolutely delicious. Substituted the creme fraiche for natural yoghurt on top. So so yummy. Thanks Caro
Ah so pleased you enjoyed it! And lovely to know that the yoghurt worked too xx