I love the ready mixed packs of quick cook grains you can buy so easily in health food shops now. They are brilliant for throwing together a hearty salad when friends are visiting for you want an easy dinner and plenty of leftovers for the next day. That’s why this Freekeh and Quinoa Seed Salad is such a staple in our house.
It’s a fab base for other salads on top, like ‘slaws, or for additional protein like feta, fish, tofu, cooked meats. This is also a fab substitute for rice or couscous with a meal as it’s absolutely packed with protein, vitamin B, a host of essential minerals and fibre. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
I use the Waitrose quick cook grain mix but you can use what you find. Or even get a ready cooked grain mix if you want to make this dish in about 5minutes!
Freekeh and Quinoa Seed Salad
- 250g Freekeh and Quinoa mix cooked according to the pack instructions (I cook them with a stock cube for more flavour)
- 100g mixed seeds, I like sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and flax
- 40g pine nuts
- a large handful of finely chopped parsley
- a large handful of finely chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Step 1 While the grains are cooking toast the seeds and pine nuts in a small frying pan until they start to pop a little.
- Step 2 Combine the grains, seeds and herbs in a large bowl.
- Step 3 Pour over the oil and lemon juice and combine.
- Step 4 Serve!