I love the ready mixed packs of quick cook grains you can buy so easily in health food shops now. They are brilliant for throwing together a hearty salad when friends are visiting for you want an easy dinner and plenty of leftovers for the next day. That’s why this Freekeh and Quinoa Seed Salad is such a staple in our house.
It’s a fab base for other salads on top, like ‘slaws, or for additional protein like feta, fish, tofu, cooked meats. This is also a fab substitute for rice or couscous with a meal as it’s absolutely packed with protein, vitamin B, a host of essential minerals and fibre. You really can’t go wrong with this one.
I use the Waitrose quick cook grain mix but you can use what you find. Or even get a ready cooked grain mix if you want to make this dish in about 5minutes!
Freekeh and Quinoa Seed Salad
- 250g Freekeh and Quinoa mix cooked according to the pack instructions (I cook them with a stock cube for more flavour)
- 100g mixed seeds, I like sesame, pumpkin, sunflower and flax
- 40g pine nuts
- a large handful of finely chopped parsley
- a large handful of finely chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Step 1 While the grains are cooking toast the seeds and pine nuts in a small frying pan until they start to pop a little.
- Step 2 Combine the grains, seeds and herbs in a large bowl.
- Step 3 Pour over the oil and lemon juice and combine.
- Step 4 Serve!
10 thoughts on “Freekeh and Quinoa Seed Salad”
This looks so good! Quinoa is one of my favorite things to cook with
It’s so quick and tasty
This looks scrumptious! I hardly ever put seeds in my salads, but this quinoa and seed mixture looks great. I have been on a cooking streak lately, but sometimes recipes can be a handful. Salads are my go-to lazy meal, and this looks super easy to put together! Thanks for sharing!
I never used to use seeds in salads and now love them – they give that extra something.
Quinoa is one my favorite ingredients. It is just so delicious and good for you. This recipe is something that I’ll have to add to my cook book.
I love the combo of flavours and textures in this.
Yumm!! I love quinoa! This recipe sounds so good and looks delicious. I will be picking up these ingredients when I head out to the store in a bit 😉
Hope it goes well!
I have never heard of freekeh but I love quinoa and so does my daughter I love trying new recipes with it . This looks absolutely delicious 🙂
You could just use quinoa but freekeh has such a delicious nutty flavour too and is a great protein source