It’s National Honey Week in the UK and I am lucky enough to have lots of honey to hand as my dad is a beekeeper. Honestly you have never met such pampered bees as they receive quality lodgings, plenty of food in the winter if they are running low and don’t get fussed around with too much as he likes to leave them alone as much as possible. Such care and attention, so it’s only right I use that yummy honey to make something just as delicious. These nutrient packed Honey, Tahini and Lemon Cookies have become something of a staple as the kids love them.
The refined sugar content is at a minimum with the main sweetness coming from the mellow honey. I love that what I thought was a more grown up flavour children wouldn’t go for – the tahini – seems a hit with everyone. That said most kids I know have grown up on houmous so I guess it’s a familiar flavour to them. And as sesame seeds are full of calcium, magnesium, iron, vitamin B1 and zinc (to name but a few) they are a treat with benefits.
These cookies are so easy to make and if you want to you can make the dough a day or two in advance and then roll them in the seeds and bake them, as such I expect the dough would freeze well but it’s not been around long enough yet to test that.
They are fairly cheap to make and if you look in the ethnic sections of supermarkets you will find tahini at a cheaper price than with the wholefoods. I also stock up when it is on offer. You will need to as I bet you’ll find yourself making more of these than you expected!
Honey, Tahini and Lemon Cookies
- 300g plain flour
- 150g butter
- 50g caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 200g tahini
- 100g runny honey
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 75g sesame seeds
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 170 °C / 330 °F / Gas 3
- Step 2 Line three baking sheets with baking paper or a silicon liner.
- Step 3 Place the flour in a bowl and rub in the butter until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
- Step 4 Stir in the sugar and bicarbonate of soda.
- Step 5 In a separate bowl or jug, mix together the tahini, honey and lemon until well combined.
- Step 6 Pour this into the dry mixture a little at the time until you form a sticky dough.
- Step 7 Put the sesame seeds into a bowl ready to roll the cookie dough in.
- Step 8 Form walnut size balls from the dough and roll the balls in the sesame seeds all over, now flatten them in your hands or on the baking tray so they are flat cookies.
- Step 9 Bake the cookies, about 5cm apart, for 10-15mins. They should be a little golden and just browning around the edges.
- Step 10 Cool on a rack and store in an airtight container.
14 thoughts on “Honey, Tahini and Lemon Cookies”
these look very delicious! i hope to try this recipe soon!
I love sesame seeds! This is the first time I ‘ve found a recipe that uses it on a cookie! Must try 🙂
There should be more sesame in cookies! Black sesame would look fab too if you can find any.
Ooh these look so yummy! I am such a sucker for sweets, and I love how these are made. I’m not the best baker but I’ll have to give these a try!
Honestly they are super simple to make, you will be great!
These look and sound lovely! I also love how simply you’ve laid out the recipe 🙂 Definitely going to try and make these at the weekend!
Samantha | samanthadobbin.com
I try and make all my dishes easy to make and take less than 30mins too. Hope you enjoy them!
Looks delicious, thanks for sharing xx
You are more than welcome!
Woah these look delish! I looooove honey so I will def give these a try 🙂
You do get a lovely tang from the honey in the cookie. Hope you enjoy!
It looks delicious.. I have o try this weekend
These cookies at first looked to me like sesame seed hamburger buns! How cute! I love that it’s filled with healthy, yummy ingredients as a dessert 🙂 xo, Suzanne~ http://www.suzannespiegoski.com
I love to bake cookies around this time and I have never heard of these cookies. Thank you for sharing.