Tomato season is upon us and there is simply nothing better than that unique smell of tomatoes fresh from the vine. I always grow a couple of plants every year because they are so easy to look after and a sun-warmed tomato straight from the plant has the most incredible taste sensation. The shops are also laden with tomatoes which are bursting with flavour at rock bottom prices. If you have any that have seen better days or are looking for something delicious to make with them then try this addictive Indian Style Tomato Chutney.
It will keep for a few days in the fridge, this is not a chutney to be jarred and stored but rather one to use immediately. And it’s so yum I doubt it will last longer than that! As well as with Indian nibbles, I love this chutney with cheese, in a wrap with salmon and it would be great with cold meats too. You will find yourself dipping something in it every time you go to the fridge – I have been known to have it on toast for my breakfast!
This is such an economical dish if you use your own tomatoes obviously it’s almost free, but grab some on offer and you will still get a gourmet quality chutney for less than a cheap jar.
Indian Style Tomato Chutney
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 3 or 4 cups of ripe tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup soft brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Step 1 Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the mustard seeds until the mustard seeds pop. Add the cumin and cinnamon and when the cumin is starting to darken add the turmeric, chilli, chopped up tomatoes and stir well.
- Step 2 Cook for 10mins over a medium heat stirring often.
- Step 3 Add the sugar and salt and cook for another 15mins until the chutney is thick and shiny.