Whatever it is about putting something hot in a bun with some salad and sauce which makes some delicious magic happen, we can’t get enough of it! But you don’t always need to turn to meat or fake meat to make that happen. These Mushroom and Butter Bean Burgers are delicious and flavourful while still giving you the burger experience.
If you don’t like mushrooms or you aren’t a butter bean fan you should still give these a try as the flavour from either is not overwhelming. The butter beans provide the bulk and texture and the mushrooms the earthy, meaty flavour. Along with my secret ingredient which I use to add a savoury kick to all veggie dishes which require it – Marmite or any other yeast extract. Give it a go, it always gives that certain something without actually tasting like what it is.
To see this recipe come together in stages, go to my Instagram stories where it is saved @the_happy_food_kitchen
Mushroom and Butter Bean Burgers
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tbsp oil
- 500g mushrooms, chopped small
- 2 x 215g can butter beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 heaped teaspoon yeast extract (like Marmite)
- Step 1 Place the porcini mushrooms in a small bowl and pour over 4 tbsp boiling water and allow to steep until soft. Then remove from the bowl, pat dry and finely chop.
- Step 2 In a frying pan add 1 tbsp oil and cook the mushrooms and garlic until they are soft and any liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat, add the chopped porcini and stir in the yeast extract so that it melts through the mushrooms.
- Step 3 Mash the butter beans well, a potato masher is great for this, until they resemble mashed potato then mix in the mushroom mix.
- Step 4 Season with black pepper to taste.
- Step 5 When cool, shape the mix into 6 burger patties ready for cooking.
- Step 6 Heat another tablespoon of oil in a frying pan and gently place in the burgers. Cook them on a medium heat for 8mins before turning and cooking for another 8mins on the other side. Add a little more oil if you need to when you turn them and keep an eye on the pan temperature. You want the outside to be golden but not burnt!
- Step 7 Serve in buns with salad.