Pomegranates are at their best right now and also readily available at a reasonable price – so there’s no reason not to incorporate them in your meals to give them a new fresh feel and a dazzling burst of red. That’s why this Pomegranate Slaw is the perfect dish to make this week.
As well as looking fabulous and serving as the perfect side to pretty much anything, it’s also fabulous value using carrots and white cabbage which are also in season too. I whipped this batch which served as a generous side for six for less than £2. It’s fab with burgers instead of fries, in a wrap with houmous, with a baked sweet potato, as part of a buffet, the possibly are endless.
It keeps brilliantly in the fridge for a few days so make it up and have a lunch or dinner at the ready. I used the julienne blade on my food processor for the cabbage and carrots so it can be prepared in under ten minutes. I can’t guarantee you won’t make a bit of a mess taking the seeds out of the pomegranate – or is that just me?
- 250g finely shredded white cabbage
- 250g peeled and shredded carrots
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoon tablespoons olive oil
- Step 1 Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season with white pepper to taste.
- Step 2 It really is that simple!