There are plenty of ways of boosting the number of veggies you have in your diet without feeling like you are ‘missing out’ on other foods you love. These Root Vegetable Rosti are so delicious I bet you won’t want to go back to the potato version any time soon!
They are held together with eggs, for a protein boost, and a little brown rice flour makes sure they crisp up. This also means they are suitable for anyone with a gluten intolerance. You can adjust the vegetables to suit what you have in the fridge, so if you don’t have any, for example, parsnip just sub in more of the other veg. I like to use the fine grater on my food processor to grate them up as it’s a thinner, longer grate than a hand-held grater without being so thin it’s mushy.
You will notice there are no herbs in here, that’s because they simply don’t need them. The flavours of the veggies just shine through and are so intense. Also you are likely to serve these as part of a wider meal. They are delicious with eggs for breakfast or instead of hash browns in a fry up, fab for a quick lunch with salad and halloumi or as the potato substitute in a ‘meat and two veg’ dinner. The beauty is you will be getting four veg instead of a starchy carb! This makes them suitable for many popular diets too – especially as they are baked not fried.
Root Vegetable Rosti
- 4 eggs
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 large beetroot
- a grind of salt and pepper
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C Fan / 220°C / Gas 7
- Step 2 Grate all the vegetables, ideally in a food processor with a fine julienne blade and place in a bowl.
- Step 3 Beat the eggs in a mug and add to vegetables, gently combine.
- Step 4 Sprinkle over the brown rice flour and fold in, a tablespoon at a time.
- Step 5 To make the rosti gather a plum size amount of the vegetables in your hand and form into a disc, flatten and shape between your palms and place on a baking tray. Repeat until you have used up all the mixture and place trays into the oven.
- Step 6 The rosti will take around 15mins to cook, flip after 10mins.