A friend and I were talking recently and she was saying how she would like to see more soups on this blog because she a) loves them b) looks at recipes and they seem to be long and overwhelming. To be a soup is a quick fix when I don’t have time to make something or I have veggies which need using up. They are perfect if you want to turn your kitchen zero waste and this Spicy Sweet Potato Soup really packs a flavour punch too.
At this time of the year particularly sweet potatoes are your friend as they are full of bug-busting vitamin C and iron. The coconut has antimicrobial fatty acids to kill off a range of ills. And with the chilli edge if you do have a cold this should clear your tubes and nourish your soul.
I often roast up a big bag of sweet potatoes to use across a number of dishes. If you are using already cooked potatoes that then this soup is ready in 5minutes. I have given a guide to making it with raw potatoes. This soup also freezes really well so make a massive pan of it and you are set for a few weeks. You can also add more water to the finished blended soup if you don’t like your soups mega thick.
Spicy Sweet Potato Soup
- 3 large or 6 small peeled sweet potatoes
- 3 crushed cloves of garlic
- 2cm root ginger, finely grated
- Splash of oil
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 100g creamed coconut, broken up well or grated
- Step 1 Fry the ginger and garlic in the oil for about 20seconds then add all the other ingredients. Bring to the boil.
- Step 2 Simmer together for about 15minutes, the potatoes should be soft.
- Step 3 Blend with a hand blender or cool a little and blend in a closed top blender. Water down to your taste.