There are so many reasons to love this Spinach, Carrot and Coconut Salad. Firstly, it’s actually really easy to throw together with things that you probably already have in your fridge. Secondly, coconut in a salad? I know it sounds weird but trust me it works. This salad is an amazing base to add any protein you might have that needs using up too – it’s so tasty it will instantly transform your leftovers. Because of the mixture of lime and chilli, it really lends itself brilliantly to being served with Mexican or South East Asian dishes. I love this salad on its own, with fajitas or quesadillas or topped with marinated Thai style tofu. You can make the salad in advance and it travels well for picnics but make sure you dress it just before serving so that the spinach doesn’t go slimy.
Spinach, Carrot and Coconut Salad
- 250g baby spinach leaves, washed
- 1 large carrot, peeled, grated
- 3 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 a bunch (around 15g) fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 lime
- 3 tablespoons of a flavourless oil like rapeseed, sunflower or groundnut oil
- Half a red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- Step 1 Roughly chop the spinach leaves a little.
- Step 2 Mixed the spinach, grated carrot, coriander, desiccated coconut together.
- Step 3 In a bowl combine the juice of the lime with the oil and chopped red chilli. If you can leave this to stand for half an hour or longer.
- Step 4 Drizzle the dressing over the leaves, toss and serve.