Tomato season is upon us and there is simply nothing better than that unique smell of tomatoes fresh from the vine. I always grow a couple of plants every year because they are so easy to look after and a sun-warmed tomato straight from the […]
As the summer veggies come into season and you want to spend more time out that in the kitchen, you need this recipe in your life! This Super Versatile Vegetable Sauce tops any bog standard jar of tomato pasta sauce in nutrients and is ridiculously […]
There’s no doubt the avocado on toast trend is here to stay and why not? It’s delicious! I wasn’t a fan of avocado at all until I started feeding them to my eldest while she was weaning. I thought they basically tasted of air freshener but if you lick bits off your hand often enough it seems you learn to love them. Now I really like them as an alternative to butter on toast, often with a bit of Marmite too. The former is common in South America where avos are known as ‘poor man’s butter’. No idea what they make of the Marmite in the region…
This Avocado Toast with Tomato, Egg and Chilli makes a great weekend brunch and is a lot cheaper than the £7 which you are likely to pay in a hipster restaurant coming in at around £1 a portion or less. It will certainly keep you feeling full until lunch. And it actually makes a pretty ace lunch too!
The kids have it without the chilli oil spray. Making your own chilli oil is so easy and satisfying and means you can use a cheaper olive oil too as all the flavour is from the chilli. Although all the goodness is still in the olive oil. I have some in the cupboard in a mini spray bottle, you could use one from a travel toiletry set. It’s brilliant for perking up any bland dishes you might have the misfortune of encountering.
Avocado Toast with Tomato, Egg and Chilli
- One large slice of wholemeal or sourdough bread
- Half a ripe avocado
- 8 -12 cherry tomatoes or one large tomato, chopped (on the vine is best for flavour)
- 1 -2 eggs
- a spray of chilli oil
- Step 1 Poach the egg in boiling water.
- Step 2 While the egg is poaching, toast the bread.
- Step 3 While the bread is toasting, peel, stone and slice the avocado.
- Step 4 Chop the tomato on a plate so you can pour over the juices too, this creeps in between the avocado fan to make the bread moist.
- Step 5 Fan avocado onto the bread and pour over the tomatoes.
- Step 6 Place drained egg on top and spritz with chilli oil and a grind of sea salt.
- Step 7 Eat immediately.
When I was a student I used to live in an area of London packed with Turkish and Greek supermarkets. And they were certainly the best place to shop cheaply on a budget. The boxes of perfectly ripe fruits and vegetables were better quality than […]