Frozen vegetables are brilliant if you’re trying to eat healthy, quickly and on a budget. Which let’s fact it is our January! They’re brilliant way of eating veggies that are out of season but still at their peak, and actually finding them at reasonable price. By using pre-prepared veggies as the star of this Aubergine Curry and the vegan, gluten free dish can be made in record-breaking time – even though it looks like a lot of time and care went into it!
I found Waitrose Chargrilled Aubergine Slices (sure other stores have similar) and the fact that these were already prepped meant no wastage and half the dish was already cooked. All you need to do is make this rich, delicately spiced sauce, sit the prepared aubergine in it, and leave it to warm through. Of course you can use fresh aubergine when you have some, simply chargrill or roast the slices accordingly. This a really easy mid-week supper or perfect to make ahead for a weekend Indian feast if you have friends over.
Aubergine Curry (Eggplant Curry)
- 500g bag of frozen chargrilled aubergine slices
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1 ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 400ml can chopped tomatoes, do not drain
- 400ml can coconut milk, can be reduced fat
- A handful of chopped fresh coriander
- Step 1 Make the sauce by softening the onions in the oil, it should take about 5mins. Add a little water if they start to stick.
- Step 2 Then add the garlic and spices, fry together stirring well, with the onion for a couple minutes.
- Step 3 Add the tomatoes and coconut milk and combine well. Cook for 5mins on a medium heat so the sauce is just bubbling. Lid off.
- Step 4 Add the aubergine and cover the pan, cook together for around 10mins on a medium heat. Remove the lid and cook for a further 5mins to thicken the sauce, if the sauce is already thick then simply check the aubergine is hot and cooked through.
- Step 5 Stir through the coriander leaves and serve immediately.