Korma is one of the favourite curry choices on takeaways across the UK. But it’s also one of the most calorific, commonly packed with cream. And some of the jar versions also pack a rather hefty sugar punch too. But this Easy Healthy Korma Sauce can be whipped up in the time it takes to get a curry delivered and used with whatever you like – vegetables, paneer, fish, prawns, meat, fake meat, tofu…the list goes on. Or you could use it to dip your chips in like a true Brit!
This version of korma sauce is heathier than the usual as it contains no added sugar, minimal fat, one portion of vegetables and can be made completely gluten free. If you look at many ready-made sauces they are bulked out or use thickening agents which can contain gluten. This one can be made with both regular plain flour but also coconut flour which is gluten free. Similarly the extra creaminess can be added with regular or low fat Greek yoghurt or unflavoured coconut yoghurt making it vegan too. Perfect if you have any allergies or dietary restrictions in your house or for visitors.
Easy Healthy Korma Sauce
- 1 tablespoon ghee/vegetable oil/coconut oil
- 450g roughly chopped onions
- 20g root ginger, peeled and grated
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon plain flour or coconut flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 soft dates, roughly chopped
- ½ litre water
- 3 heaped tablespoons of Greek yoghurt, any fat content, or coconut yoghurt
- Step 1 Place the ghee or oil of your choice into a medium saucepan with the onions and cook on a medium heat with the lid on for around 10mins until all the onions are soft but not brown. If they start to catch a little then add a splash of water.
- Step 2 When the onions are soft add the ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and flour to the onions and stir well. Cook for another 5mins with the lid off on a low heat.
- Step 3 Add the salt, dates and water and cook for 10mins on a low simmer with the lid off. At the end add the the yoghurt of your choice and cook for another minute.
- Step 4 Cool and blitz in a blender.
- Step 5 To use the sauce simply cook whatever you want in your korma and add the sauce 5 to 10mins before the end and cook together on a medium heat.
4 thoughts on “Easy Healthy Korma Sauce (gluten, dairy and sugar free)”
I have never heard of this before. Love how you turned it into a healthier version, and gluten free compatible.
Very unique. I wonder what this sauce would taste best with? What do you recommend using it for specifically?
Ooo korma sounds good right now! I’m always hesitant to order it just because I can never be too sure about the ingredients. I’m glad you noted it being gluten and dairy free 🙂
I love how you altered it to make it healthier! It sounds like a great recipe, I must try it out some time!