There is nothing quite like a beautifully ripe fig. They have such a unique flavour which really sums up the mellow end of summer and beginning of autumn. I feel the flavour is enhanced and deepened when they are grilled or lightly cooked so their juices yield and are warm. That’s why we always have this Fig and Rocket Salad at this time of year.
It’s so simple and can act as a base for additional pulses or proteins. In this case I have added some griddled halloumi as the salty cheese goes brilliantly with the sweet figs, peppery rocket and the spicy dressing.
If you are looking for a quick and easy starter which won’t keep you in the kitchen this is also fab as everything bar the 5min grilling of the figs can be prepared in advance. It’s delicious served with some walnut bread too.
Fig and Rocket Salad
- 5 ripe figs
- 140g rocket
- 1 heaped teaspoon harissa paste (more if yours isn’t very spice, taste and add more if you need to)
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Step 1 Cut figs in half and grill for around 5 minutes or until soft and juicy.
- Step 2 While they are cooking arrange your washed rocket on a platter or plate.
- Step 3 Combine all salad dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Adjust to taste.
- Step 4 Place figs on the platter and any other ingredients you wish to add then drizzle with the dressing.