I am always looking for different ways to cook the most seasonal vegetables. At the moment carrots and parsnips are so plentiful and cheap I’m incorporating them into lots of meals. Even when they are served as a side, you can ring the changes if you add some herbs or cook them in a slightly different way. These Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Carrots and Parsnips are great if you are making a roast as they can be popped in the oven with everything else. They are fab as a side to most dishes frankly!
You can use fresh rosemary if you have it, else scatter some dried over the vegetables before roasting. The five minute par-cook boil of the veg can be done the day before if necessary, it’s fine for the vegetables to go into the oven cold, they may just need another 5 minutes. You can also scale up or down the qualities accordingly – just make sure the vegetables aren’t overlapping on the baking tray too much so they can all get a tasty, roasty crust.
Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
- 350g carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 350g parsnips, peeled and trimmed
- 5 cloves of garlic, papery skin on
- Pinch of dried rosemary or 3 stems of fresh
- Tablespoon coconut oil or oil of your choice
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 220°C / Fan 200 °C / 425°F / Gas 7.
- Step 2 Cut the carrots and parsnips lengthways so they are in similar size pieces, you may have to quarter them if they are large.
- Step 3 Boil the parsnips and carrots in a large pan of water water for 5mins.
- Step 4 Meanwhile place the roasting tin with the tablespoon of coconut oil into the oven.
- Step 5 Drain the cooked vegetables well and leave in a colander or the pan with the lid off so they steam dry.
- Step 6 Crush the whole garlic cloves with the back of a large knife.
- Step 7 When the oil in the roasting tin is hot, remove from the oven and toss in the vegetables, garlic and rosemary.
- Step 8 Cook for 15mins and give the veg a shake or turn to check it’s cooking evenly.
- Step 9 Roast for another 10 to 15mins until the edges are golden.
- Step 10 Season with fresh ground salt and pepper just before serving if you wish.
8 thoughts on “Garlic and Rosemary Roasted Carrots and Parsnips”
The recipe is simple and the carrots and parsnips look delicious! This is perfect for dinner side dish or even something healthy to munch on when you get hungry.
Sound delicious, must try 🙂
That looks great… I too am always looking for new recipes for my garden veggies!! Yum!
To be honest I have never made parsnips! These look tasty though and I will have to give them a try! 🙂
Wow looks delicious! Iooking forward to replicating this recipe soon!
Yumm. How did I forget about parsnips! I’m going to incorporate them back into our meals. Thanks so much for this easy side. I’m excited to see if the kiddos will swallow some. Lol. ❤️
These look fantastic! Root vegetables are my favorite – especially with garlic and rosemary!
Oh thank you so much for this post! I am always looking for the ways to incorporate healthy veggies into my diet but honestly, I don’t know how to prepare them properly. I will be making this together with some chicken today! Awesome!