Sweet potatoes are packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals but not something you may think of eating for breakfast. But when you taste these Sweet Potato Waffles you will want them for breakfast and lunch! These soft and fluffy waffles are fab for both sweet and savoury breakfasts or later on the day. Think of them as a more interesting bread base! If you don’t have a waffle maker you can make them into American style pancakes instead.
If you have a sweet tooth simply top them with a blob of Skyr and some berries or a little cinnamon sugar. Of you are a savoury person or looking for a lunch time topping this Mexican twist is delicious!
Mexican Topped Sweet Potato Waffles
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 60g oats
- 50g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 160ml milk of your choice
- Mexican topping (for one waffle)
- Handful of grated cheese
- Half a tomato, finely diced
- A few jalapeños, finely diced
- Around a tablespoon of fresh chopped coriander
- Step 1 Place all the ingredients into a high powered blender or food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Step 2 Preheat your waffle iron to medium and spray with oil if needs be.
- Step 3 Add the appropriate amount of batter for your machine and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Step 4 When cooked, the waffles can be stored in the fridge or freezer ready to be reheated in a toaster, grill or microwave.
- Step 5 Add the cheese, tomato and jalapeño topping to one waffle and grill under a hot heat until the cheese is bubbling.
- Step 6 Place on a plate and sprinkle with the coriander.