Last year everyone was going freeky about freekah which is no bad thing as frankly this grain is ace! I have so many salads in my life with the grain but this is my Moroccan-style Freekah Salad.
You will not be reaching for the snacks if you tuck into this for your lunch, I’m sure. You could add some olives, roasted butternut squash or finely sliced spinach too if you wish to bulk it out further or use up any foods laying around.
This makes four portions (main meal size) and comes in at around £1.30 a portion. While that doesn’t sound super cheap it’s incredibly filling so you won’t need anything else with it.
Moroccan-style Freekah Salad
- 200g Freekah cooked to pack instructions in one vegetable stock cube, cooled
- 100g dried apricots, sliced
- 70g flaked almonds
- 200g feta or similar cheese in small cubes
- 100g bag of rocket, washed
- For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon harissa paste
- Step 1 Toast the almonds in a dry frying pan over a hot heat for a couple minutes, keep shaking pan so they don’t burn. They should be just starting to brown.
- Step 2 Add apricots, cheese, almonds and rocket to the freekah and toss until well mixed.
- Step 3 In a small container or jam jar shake together dressing ingredients.
- Step 4 Mix dressing through the salad.