Are these a cookie or are they a cake? With these Soft Pumpkin Cookies you can have your cake – and your biscuit – and eat it! The flavours in these really sum up autumn to me and the spices and sweetness of the vegetable means you don’t need loads of refined sugar. The agave nectar makes these sweet enough and the oats mean these can be enjoyed by anyone avoiding gluten (just chose the specified oats) and they are vegan too. If you want to, leave out the chocolate chips and you have a fab toddler breakfast or snack.
These are not a traditional cookie texture in that they are soft, almost cake like. I love that they are so different and a nice change in that respect but don’t think you have done something wrong if they aren’t crunchy!
A word on the puree. I make mine with butternut squash as its cheap, plentiful and tasty where I live. I simply cut one in half and roast it on a baking tray until it’s soft, then blitz it to a puree. You can use canned pumpkin puree if you would like too. If you are making your puree from pumpkin make sure you use eating pumpkins rather than those grow for carving which can be tasteless.
Soft Pumpkin Cookies
- 125g oats, ground into a flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 25g coconut oil (or butter), melted
- 180g butternut squash or pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g agave nectar (or honey)
- 40g dark (or milk) chocolate drops
- Step 1 Blitz your oats to create a flour. Add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Step 2 In a separate bowl, mix the oil or butter, puree, agave nectar and vanilla.
- Step 3 Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until all mixed. Add the chocolate chips.
- Step 4 Chill the cookie dough for 30 minutes or longer.
- Step 5 Preheat the oven to 150°C Fan/ 180°C / 325°F, and line a baking sheet with baking paper or a silicone mat.
- Step 6 Scoop 12 spoonfuls of the mixture onto the tray (they don’t spread too much) and shape them into circles, flatten the tops.
- Step 7 Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 8 Cool on the baking sheet for 15mins or more before picking up.