I live with such a soup lover and since making more of my own I’ve really gotten into it myself. It’s such a brilliant way of getting a big veggie fix quickly and easily as if you make a vat of soup and keep it in the fridge or freezer you always have it to hand. This Split Pea and Vegetable Soup also celebrates a fantastic source of plant protein which is super cheap and filling too. So who cares if you have to leave the peas to soak in water overnight?
I appreciate dried pulses can seem annoying as you have to decide you want to use the pulses the night before, but just a tiny bit of forethought is certainly worth the effort. Once the peas are ready the rest of the soup is super quick to throw together and leave to cook on the hob. Often I made this to use up some sweet potato mash but you can cook the sweet potatoes in with the soup too. It’s so tasty and simple plus suits almost anyone’s diet so useful to know!
Split Pea and Vegetable Soup
- 250g dried split peas, soaked in cold water for at least 12 hours
- 200g sweet potato, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Soften the onions in a little water or oil in a pan with the lid on.
- Step 2 When soft add the garlic, sweet potato, carrot, drained peas and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 45mins. If you need to add a little more water during cooking
- Step 3 Check that the peas are soft, if not cook for a little longer.
- Step 4 With a stick hand blender blend the soup until it’s half smooth and half chunky or wait until cool and liquidize half before returning to the pan to combine with the rest of the still chunky soup. Adjust texture to suit with a little water if needed and season.
4 thoughts on “Split Pea and Vegetable Soup”
I love this recipe! It looks delicious. I love eating soup in the winter and I am vegan. It is sometimes challenging to find delicious and filling options for someone who eats vegan. I will have to try this!
I love the added sweet potato but in the recipe! Must give it a nice sweetness and texture .
I love that you add sweet potatoes. I never thought of that. Sounds super delicious. I’m pinteresting your recipe for later. ❤️
This looks super yummy. I want to try it!