These crackers have just the most unexpected texture, you think they will be rock hard but they are just so airy and light. They are simple to make and keep well so you can always make a double batch. Absolutely packed with omega 3, the full profile of amino acids needed to form complete and digestible protein, plus vitamins A, B, C and E and the minerals calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, selenium and manganese, they certainly beat a traditional cream cracker!
These are also gluten and dairy free and taste amazing on their own or with my Creamy Beetroot Pate or White Bean Pate.
You can adapt the seed mix to suit what you have as long as you make sure you include the full ½ cup of chia as it’s these which bind the crackers together in the absence of any egg or flour.
Super Seed Crackers
- ½ cup of chia seeds
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds
- ½ cup of pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds
- ¼ cup of poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of water
- Step 1 Place all the seeds and the salt in a bowl, pour in water and mix well to combine. Place to one side for an hour so the chia seeds work their binding magic.
- Step 2 Heat oven to 170C / 325F / Gas Mark 3.
- Step 3 Line a baking sheet with a silicone liner or baking parchment. Pour over the seed mix and spread out so it’s even over the whole sheet – if some bits are thinner they could burn while thick bits might not be cooked through.
- Step 4 Bake for 30mins then remove from the oven and slice into crackers of your desired size and shape with a sharp knife. Return the crackers to the oven and cook for another 20-30mins. The crackers should feel dry and crisp.
- Step 5 Place the crackers, which should come away in their pieces easily, on a cooking rack and when completely cold store in an airtight container.