In some ways these Marmite coated cashews were not my smartest idea…yes they are totally delicious but that also makes them ridiculously moreish! They are so easy to make too, just place 200g of cashews in a frying pan with a teaspoon of Marmite (or […]
Tag: healthy snacks
Okay, now brace yourself, these chocolate muffins are (deep breath) egg-free, fat-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, nut-free, but definitely NOT flavour free! There is a good reason they are called Free From Everything Healthy Chocolate Brownie Muffins you see! I know what you’re thinking, what do […]
Flapjacks are such a great bake – they can be made with minimal utensils, take minutes to put together and are pretty adaptable to the ingredients you have and like. Made right they can be a nutritional powerhouse but many off-the-shelf versions are packed with sugar and ‘bad’ fats. These Seed and Fruit Flapjacks are not only delicious but also good for you and it’s easy to ring the changes with different ingredients every time. They can be made vegan and contain no nuts or nut butter so are perfect for school lunchboxes.
We also love them as an easy to take snack or breakfast on the run in our house so there’s usually a batch in a jar in the kitchen. They’re brilliant to leave the kids to make too as it’s just a case of measuring and stirring together. The sweetness mainly comes from the fruit with a little bit of unprocessed natural sugar which is minimal across the whole batch.
Seed and Fruit Flapjacks
- 80g butter (or coconut oil)
- 3 tbsp honey (or maple syrup)
- 2 large ripe bananas (or 3 small) mashed well
- 250g rolled oats
- 175g dried fruit like sultanas, cranberries, currants, chopped apricots etc
- 85g mixed seeds, I like chia, sunflower and sesame
- Step 1 Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and line a 20cm square tin with baking parchment or a silicone liner.
- Step 2 Melt the butter and honey together in a large saucepan.
- Step 3 Add the mashed banana, oats, the dried fruit and the seeds into the pan and mix well.
- Step 4 Pour into the lined tin and push the mixture down well into the corners and sides. It needs to be well compacted and level.
- Step 5 Bake for 35-40mins until golden on top.
- Step 6 Cool in the tin and cut into 12. Store them in an airtight container.