On a gloomy day there is nothing more satisfying than a pie. And if you pie is also packed with veggies, fibre and good carbs you really are winning! This Lentil Shepherd’s Pie is brilliant for meal prep – make ahead and freeze in advance so it just needs to be defrosted and popped in the oven to have a nutritious dinner is on the table. It’s so tasty and vegtastic you don’t even have to need any more vegetables on the side.
I like to mix regular and sweet potatoes together but if you are not a fan of one then just use the other. This recipe is vegan (if you sub in a vegan Worcestershire sauce) but a bit of cheese grated on top before it goes into the oven is delicious too so make it work for your diet.
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
- A splash of oil
- 300g green lentil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, peeled and finely diced
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of Marmite
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or vegan equivalent
- 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1kg of mixed sweet potato and white potato mash
- Step 1 Splash a little oil into a saucepan and fry the onions, carrots, celery and garlic on a low heat with the lid on for around 10 mins until soft.
- Step 2 Remove the lid and add the mushrooms, cook for another 5mins.
- Step 3 Add the lentils, herbs, Marmite, stock and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to the boil then simmer for around 45mins, until the lentils are soft. You should still have a little liquid at the end of this, if you don’t add a splash more water or stock and stir in the tomato puree.
- Step 4 Place the lentils in the dish (or dishes if you are planning to freeze some) and top with mash.
- Step 5 Sprinkle cheese over if using and bake in an oven on 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 for 30mins until golden.
7 thoughts on “Vegan Lentil Shepherd’s Pie”
This looks fantastic! Definitely going in my meatless Monday list of recipes! I’ll be pinning this!
Yum, this sounds delicious! I love a good lentil pie – perfect comfort food for chilly weather. 🙂
Okay, Shepherd’s Pie is one of my all time favorite meals. I always looked forward to it as a kid. At the beginning of this month I started my Vegan journey (no regrets of course) and this is now officially on my “To Make” list. I am so printing out this recipe tomorrow!!!!
Hope you enjoy xx
I love that this recipe is so vegtastic!! Lol!! Good word!! I’ll be adding it to my list of yummy recipes that I can make ahead and freeze. And also love that you mix sweet and regular potatoes. Mind blown! I can’t wait to try it! ❤️
Surely vegtastic is in the dictionary?!?!?!
This looks SO good. I’ve got to try this.