There is nothing like a hot bowl of soup to make you feel nourished and this White Bean and Vegetable Soup ticks a lot of boxes when it comes to giving you a hug in a bowl.
With a good shot of garlic, it provides a boost to your immune system and the beans are a great source of plant protein. This fibre rich soup also fills you up and can be made to the consistency which suits you and your family. It also freezes brilliantly so is brilliant for a meal prep batch bake. Just double up the quantities and you will have the perfect quick meal after a cold and rainy walk or when you haven’t had time to cook.
If you are looking for the perfect quick to make accompaniment try my Wholemeal Soda Bread!
White bean and Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g cooked or tinned white beans, such as cannellini beans
- 150g mushrooms, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 750 ml of vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- Step 1 Cook the leek and the onion in the oil with the lid on for around 10 minutes, until it’s soft. Then add the celery and carrot, stir well, replace the lid and cook for another five minutes.
- Step 2 Add the finely chopped mushrooms and minced garlic, stir and cover again and cook for another five minutes.
- Step 3 Add the bay leaves and the stock. Give a good grind of black pepper and a pinch of salt, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Step 4 Check the vegetables are cooked and remove the bay leaves. You can leave the soup chunky or using a stick blender blend till around quarter of the soup is smooth. If you prefer your soup smoother then feel free to blend further or until the soup is completely smooth.